What To Do After a Fire.
What To Do After a Fire.
After a fire, it's very hard to know what to do first. There are many steps you need to follow to make sure that your home is secure and safe after a fire has occurred. If you're prepared and know what to do after a fire, it makes the process much easier!
After a fire, it's very hard to know what to do first.
Fire can be devastating to a home. After the fire is out and you have time to take stock of your situation, you might be overwhelmed by what to do next.
If you're wondering "What should I do after a fire?" then here are some tips that can help:
- If possible, check if there's water damage or smoke damage in the area where the fire took place (for example, in an oven).
- If there is water damage or smoke damage, clean up quickly—taking care not to make things worse with your cleaning supplies—to prevent mold growth or other problems from developing later.
- If possible, check if there's visible smoke residue left over from the fire. You may want to vacuum any areas where this residue was deposited; otherwise, it could attract dust particles or insects that could make their way into your home and cause problems later.
- Check whether any electrical devices were damaged in the fire: outlets/switches/fans/heaters/light fixtures etc... If so, contact an electrician for advice before repairing them yourself.
- Take photos of any damaged items so you can refer to them when filing insurance claims.
Call your insurance company as soon as you can.
It's important to call your insurance company as soon as you can. Your agent will be able to help advise on the extent of the damage that is covered under your insurance policy.
If it's a large-scale emergency response where professionals are needed, do not try to restore the area on your own — harmful odors and chemicals left over from the fire could cause complications. Instead, seek out a reliable restoration company that can remove the damaged items and thoroughly restore the affected area.
Board-up services might be able to help secure your home after a fire.
Sometimes, the heat of the flames can shatter windows and compromise Board-up services are a good idea if you need to secure your home after a fire. It's important to make sure the boards are secure and that they don't have any gaps, because any intruders could just push open the loose boards. If you're not sure about this, ask someone who knows how to do it right (like our friendly service providers).
After securing your Central Fr. Myers home with professional board-up services, we recommend having another trusted party come by and check on the outside of your house in case anything needs repairing.
Get cleaning services on-site ASAP.
The sooner you can get cleaning services on site, the better. The longer it takes, the harder it will be to remove any lingering smoke or odor. You should not attempt to clean up yourself with a mop and bucket—you need trained professionals for this job.
If your home or commercial property has been damaged by fire, you will need to make sure that you don't spread the fire further by spreading ashes from your vacuum cleaner around other areas of your home.
If you're prepared and know what to do after a fire, it makes the process so much easier.
The best way to handle a fire is to have a plan in place. If you know what to do after a fire, it makes the process easier.
We've outlined some of the most important steps below:
- Make sure everyone is out of your house and then call 911
- Check on all family members who were inside at the time of the fire; look for any signs of burns or smoke inhalation
- If anyone injured needs medical attention, make sure they get it immediately
There's no doubt that when your commercial property has been damaged by fire, you're going to be shocked and upset. But if you don't know what to do first, it can make the process even more difficult. Follow these steps, and the process will be much less stressful!